IMPORTANT FACTS AND INFORMATION
WHAT IS A PRESTIGIOUS FELLOWSHIP OR AWARD?
Prestigious fellowships and awards are some of the most well-known awards. As the name implies, these awards are recognized among the most prestigious and highly-regarded awards available, and they come with a high amount of prestige. Prestigious awards are available to support both undergraduate and graduate education. They are national or international in scope, and they are highly competitive. These fellowships and awards often fund students who are currently studying or plan to obtain a degree in specific fields or students who wish to study at a specific institution or a specific area of the world. Prestigious fellowships and awards often have lengthy, in-depth applications which require a fair amount of time and commitment. However, winning a prestigious fellowship or award can have a dramatic and transformative impact on an individual’s life.
WHERE CAN I FIND PRESTIGIOUS FELLOWSHIP AND AWARD OPPORTUNITIES?
Exploring this website will provide you with a number of prestigious fellowship and award opportunities. However, the awards listed on this website is not a comprehensive list, and there are a number of other prestigious fellowship and award opportunities available. We encourage you to search for and research opportunities that align with your field of study, graduate school and career plans, specific institutions you want to study at, and specific areas of the world you wish to study in. If you come across a prestigious fellowship or award opportunity that is not listed on this website, please email Jenny Irwin to discuss further.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR PRESTIGIOUS FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS? WHAT ARE THE APPLICATION COMPONENTS?
Eligibility will vary depending on the specific award. Some awards may require you to be currently studying a specific field, or they may require you to have plans to obtain a degree in a specific field or pursue a career in a specific sector. Some awards require a minimum GPA or a minimum GPA range, and some of them require you to have a specific class standing (ex: junior status) at the time of applying. Many of them also have citizenship requirements. It is very important to carefully read and understand an award’s eligibility requirements before applying to it.
Application components will also vary depending on the specific fellowship or award. However, generally speaking, prestigious fellowships and awards usually require:
- Online form: basic facts about yourself, your education, your accomplishments
- Essays: personal statement; research or project proposal (this is often the most difficult portion of the application)
- Letters of recommendation
WHOM DO I SPEAK WITH ABOUT PRESTIGIOUS FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS?
Pace International will advise you through the application process of the following international opportunities:
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship:An undergraduate grant program for U.S. citizens to enable them to study abroad; based on Federal Pell Grant eligibility as well as the location of the study abroad program.
- Boren Awards: Provides funding for students to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests, and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East.
- Critical Language Scholarship Program:The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program is a fully funded summer overseas language and cultural immersion program for American undergraduate and graduate students.
For all other opportunities listed on this website, please email Jenny Irwin.