Marshall Scholarships finance young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom. Up to forty Scholars are selected each year to study at graduate level at an UK institution in any field of study. The objectives of the programme are as follows:
- To enable intellectually distinguished young Americans, their country’s future leaders, to study in the UK.
- To help Scholars gain an understanding and appreciation of contemporary Britain.
- To contribute to the advancement of knowledge in science, technology, the humanities and social sciences and the creative arts at Britain’s centres of academic excellence.
- To motivate Scholars to act as ambassadors from the USA to the UK and vice versa throughout their lives thus strengthening British American understanding.
- To promote the personal and academic fulfilment of each Scholar.
The scholarship provides university fees, cost of living expenses, annual book grant, thesis grant, research and daily travel grants, fares to and from the United States and, where applicable, a contribution towards the support of a dependent spouse.
Application Deadline: Early October
- Applicants must be a citizens of the U.S. (at the time they apply for a scholarship)
- Hold their first undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year college or university in the U.S. by the time they take up their scholarship
- Have obtained a grade point average of not less than 3.7 on their undergraduate degree
- Have graduated from their first undergraduate college or university not more than two years prior to the year in which you are applying in (Ex: applicants applying for a 2021 scholarship will submit an application in 2020 and must have graduated from their first undergraduate college or university after April 2018.)
- Not have studied for, or hold a degree or degree-equivalent qualification from a British University or GCSE or A Levels taken at school in the UK